free hit counter Knit-Whit: Collections

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Collections

I spent most of the day today looking through childhood mementos in order to purge some of my belongings. I simply don't have the space to save every last piece of my youth.
I did run across something (actually a lot of stuff) that I'll keep...a b&w photo I took of my friend Nate building a birch bark canoe on a trip we took to the BWCA probably in 1988 or so. We were there with a group and one day we decided to exchange gifts. Well, the BWCA is one of the most rustic camping areas in the US (?) so the only resource you have is the outdoors and what little you've brought with. Nate made a birch bark canoe and I snapped this photo as he built it. I received this little carved paddle but I don't remember who from.













As I was digging through the boxes, I realized I have had many collections over the years. Troll dolls, hockey cards, jewelry boxes, rubber balls, shells, spoons, postage stamps, artwork from Kindergarten on up, notes from friends, letters, pencils, stickers, 45's, negatives, books. Can you say P-A-C-K-R-A-T?

3 Comments:

Blogger KnitPastis said...

Ok, I understand getting rid of pencils and stickers but nooooooo.....not the 45's! I wished I still had my Donny Osmond's "Puppy Love",The Jackson Five, Sammy Davis Jr's. "Candy Man", Captain and Tenille "Love Will Keep Us Together". I swear I wouldn't listen to them today, just keep them somewhere safe.Bet your too young to know this music!

12:53 PM, April 23, 2006  
Blogger amandamonkey said...

I LOVELOVELOVE that photo of camp stuff. I went to camp every year from second grade 'til I graduated from high school - and some of my best and most profound memories are from those few weeks.

7:45 AM, April 26, 2006  
Blogger stricken madchen said...

I'm catching up on my blog reading & had to laugh when reading this. I relate a little too well. That picture is priceless though. Can you frame the 2 together?
Michelle

11:18 AM, April 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The WeatherPixie

Powered by Blogger