free hit counter Knit-Whit: Canning Complete

Friday, August 05, 2005

Canning Complete

I completed my canning goal! Making pickles was a lot of fun, and something I've never done before. I followed Alton Brown's recipes, the firecrackers and AB's B & B's. I changed the recipes just a bit and canned in a more traditional manner rather than placing the veggies in a spring top jar as reccomended. I can't wait to dive into these jars. It's reccomended to wait 2 days to 1 week before eating the firecrackers and I'm guessing at least a couple days for the pickles. Splatgirl thinks the firecrackers are going to be HOT HOT HOT.

I purchased 2 bundles of carrots + 1 bin. The carrots on the bundles were a bit bigger so I sliced them in 1/2 where as the carrots in the bin were small enough to place in the jars whole.

I took home a half bushel of cucumbers and used almost all of them in 12 jars. I think I have 6 remaining.

What did I spend at the farmer's market? $11. I can't get over it. A half bushel of cucumbers, 2 bundles carrots, 1 bin carrots, 1 bin hot peppers, a bundle of 4 NICE onions, and a bin of mini potatoes.

Go here to see the rest of the photos, you won't be sorry!

4 Comments:

Blogger stricken madchen said...

I love your handwriting! I noticed it on the card you sent me too. I do miss the farmers market there, everything looks so yummy. Will you tell us how everything tastes after you can try it out? (your pictures were great).

1:16 PM, August 05, 2005  
Blogger karrie said...

Looks delicious! My favorite things to pickle are green beans. mmmm....

2:21 PM, August 05, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, you reminded me of how I love spicy pickled carrots. I need to try that recipe!

3:49 PM, August 05, 2005  
Blogger Iris said...

Mmmmmm. Homemade pickles. Makes my mouth water. Looks like it'll be dee-lish. I haven't pickled spicy carrots in a few years either. I might have to give it a go again.

1:36 AM, August 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The WeatherPixie

Powered by Blogger