free hit counter Knit-Whit: Dry as a Desert

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Dry as a Desert

Since it's been a little dry over here in knitting land, I thought I'd bring up something that happened to me quite a while ago. This little sock was the 1st sock of the 2nd pair of socks I had ever knit and it was meant to be for my -at the time- 5 year old niece. Swatch? No way, why do I need to swatch for socks? It turns out I should have done some figuring...can you see how long that foot is? And it's super skinny. I'm not sure it will fit anyones foot. I did reknit the socks and Jessica loved them. I kept this one for a reminder.










On another sock note, has anyone had experience with Knit Picks dye-your-own sock yarn? I wore these socks on Tuesday and the soles are almost completely felted just from wear. A little frustrating but I guess I can live with it. The upside is my sensitive baby soft feet won't feel every stitch.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jane said...

I've seen other people report that the Knitpicks Dye Your Own sock yarn felted easily, so at least you aren't alone.

11:42 PM, April 06, 2006  
Blogger renee said...

I have a pair of socks I bought in Iceland that were part angora. They slightly felted and are now my most comfortable, warm socks to wear in the middle of the cold, cold winter. So, maybe it'll be a blessing in disguise. Unless of course it gets so small you can't fit in the sock. That wouldn't be good!

12:34 AM, April 07, 2006  
Blogger Cece said...

Oh! That is the first I've heard of that yarn felting - I'm glad you told us... I'm a wash and wear sock kind of gal - so I would take all the time to dye and knit a pair of socks, and then have it felt on me.

I'll use that yarn for something else.

7:28 AM, April 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The links in this post are inspriring because I got Color Your Own yarn from SP7. I think it felts so easily because it doesn't have any nylon or other reinforcement, just soft merino wool.

9:07 AM, April 07, 2006  
Blogger Katie Collette said...

What a bummer. I have a hank of that yarn at home just waiting for a lazy day and a koolaid bath. I guess I just won't use a lacy, decorative pattern or anything on them for fear it will felt up.

9:09 AM, April 07, 2006  
Blogger KnitPastis said...

That looks better than my first sock. Remember way back when I first knitted my sock and it ended up being big enough for an elephant's foot?

5:41 PM, April 07, 2006  
Blogger JustApril said...

I haven't tried it yet, but I have a pair that is merino that felts super easy, they're very comfy, tho! Only prob is that I already blew the heels out of them.

I was born in Minneapolis =)

1:13 PM, April 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The WeatherPixie

Powered by Blogger