free hit counter Knit-Whit: Food on Blogs

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Food on Blogs

Within the last few weeks I've tried many recipes around the blogosphere and I must say I've been very pleased!
Since I failed to take any photos of my finished products I will of course link you to the posts that I found the following recipes.
First I tried the creamy chicken & vegetable soup from everybody loves sandwiches. I made it exactly as written and I'd do it again. The soup was even better the next day.
Next I tried the chocolate chip meringue cookies from Smitten Kitchen. Again, I made the cookies exactly as written and my co-workers gobbled them up in an instant. I will make these again, easy and yummy.
Most recently I tried the pioneer woman lasagna at Confessions of a Pioneer Woman. If you haven't read this blog, do. Ree is a great writer, an excellent photographer and darn funny too. I made this recipe almost as written, I used stewed tomatoes instead of whole and regular sausage instead of spicy because that's what I had on hand. I also forgot to put one of the mozzarella layers in which we figured didn't make much difference except we eliminated some calories. It is the first lasagna I've ever made, the best lasagna I've ever eaten and after the first bite Kyle said it's a keeper.
I'll continue to try recipes I see in the blogosphere and I'll even try to post some of my own, what a great resource for new ideas!
OK, I'll start with my most favorite spaghetti sauce with meatballs.

Meatballs
1 lb ground beef
1 lb Italian sausage
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 egg
2 T Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp dry minced onion

Mix together by hand and form into desired meatball size, I like to make random sizes. Place in oven for about 25 minutes at 350ยบ.

While meatballs are baking mix sauce together by placing all the following ingredients into a large pot.

Spaghetti Sauce
32 oz tomato juice
1-14.5 oz can stewed tomatoes
1-12 oz can tomato paste
1 tsp dry marjoram
2 tsp dry basil
1 bay leaf
1 tsp Italian seasoning
2 sticks pepperoni sliced into 1/4 inch thick slices
3-4 uncooked chicken breasts, cut into manageable pieces
meatballs, when finished

Simmer, covered for 3 1/2 hours.
I freeze all the leftover sauce for quick weeknight dinners.
Don't forget to let me know if you try this recipe!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

I think I may try this recipe! Have you made the sauce in a crock pot before?

11:34 AM, March 08, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The WeatherPixie

Powered by Blogger