free hit counter Knit-Whit: Dye Job²

Sunday, July 10, 2005

Dye Job²

Since it was too hot to do much outside (IMO), yesterday I dyed my yarn for the dye job craft-along. Mostly, I followed the kool-aid dying directions from Knitty.com and used Knitting Iris's photo for color reference. I started out by soaking the wool in cold water.

Meanwhile, I set out my supplies.

Then I mixed up the kool-aid.

I squirted the kool-aid onto the wool using turkey basters not worrying about covering all the yarn since I wouldn't mind a little light or white mixed in. The white areas ended up filling in as the yarn was "cooking". I wanted to make yarn to match my new shoes so I used 3 envelopes of berry blue and 3 lemon-lime. I wrapped this skein up in the plastic wrap and nuked it for about 10 minutes, until the liquid was clear.

I wasn't sure what I wanted for the 2nd skein so it was purely all about having fun. I used 3 envelopes of pink lemonade, 2 orange and 2 grape. Not too crazy about the grape so I mixed in a little of the green & blue leftovers. Kyle even got in on the fun and colored about 1/2 of the skein. A few polka dots later and it was ready to cook.

Since it was about 100º in the shade yesterday I decided just to lay it out on the sidewalk for a while. I checked about an hour later and the water was clear. Easy, easy. The colors really ran together well and it looks like it might be a winner. Kyle said "That yarn looks like the type to be knit into socks with toes". Great idea Kyle, when is your 1st lesson?

Hanging out to dry.

And finally wound up into a ball, all ready for knitting. Now get out there and dye up some yarn, it's fun!!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow carrie that yarn turned out really nice! you are so crafty
cara
earth mother

9:00 PM, July 10, 2005  
Blogger stricken madchen said...

Those colors look great! It will be fun to see them knit up.

10:32 AM, July 11, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow..those colors did turn out really great. I really love the blue and green one. Kind of reminds me of the ocean. It will be great to see it knitted up. And how in the heck did you get your balls so perfectly bally?

5:57 PM, July 12, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks great! And thanks for the process pictures, I might have to try painting yarn like that sometime.

4:18 PM, July 13, 2005  
Blogger alison said...

Wicked cool!

7:17 PM, July 18, 2005  
Blogger Iris said...

Love the way your yarn turned out. Isn't it just too much fun?

1:31 AM, August 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The WeatherPixie

Powered by Blogger